Investor visa requirements

You must have at least £2 million in investment funds to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.

You must:
– Be from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
– Be 18 years or older to apply for this visa
– Be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
– Have opened a UK bank account

Your funds must be:
– Held in one or more regulated financial institutions
– Free to spend (‘disposable’) in the UK
– Your money can be in the UK or overseas when you apply.

How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to three months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within three weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.

How much you pay for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.

Who you are applying for Apply Extend or switch by post
You £1,500 £1,500
All dependents £1,500 for each depend,nt £1,500 for each dependent

Fees for applying and extending in person

You can use the super premium service to apply or extend in person.
It costs a one-off fee of £7,000, plus application fees for each person of:

£1,900 for the ‘main applicant’
£1,900 for each dependent
You can use this service for up to four  ‘main applicants’ and a maximum of 10 people per visit. ‘Main applicants’ are the people with access to the investment funds.

How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of three years and four months.

You can apply to extend this visa for another two years.

What you can and can’t do
You can:

– Invest £2 million or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies
– Work or study
– Apply to settle after two years if you invest £10 million
– Apply to settle after two years if you invest £5 million
You can’t:

– Invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development
– Work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
– Get public funds
– You also can’t work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:

– You have a primary degree at the bachelor’s level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license or is a UK-recognised or listed body
– You worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
– Neither of those conditions was part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa

Documents you need to provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

– A current passport or other valid travel identification
– A passport-sized colour photograph
– Your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
– A criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years
– A page in your passport that is blank on both sides for your visa.

Evidence of investment funds
You’ll need to provide evidence showing that you have the required investment funds.

Your own money
If you’re using your own money to invest, you should be able to show:

– How much money you have and where it’s being held
– Where the money came from if you haven’t had the money for at least three months, e.g. you inherited it from a relative
– that the money can be transferred to the UK and converted (if it’s not already in the UK)
Your partner’s money
You’ll need to provide:

– A certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or in the case of unmarried or same-sex relationships, proof that you are in a long-term relationship (at least two years)
– A statement from your partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK
– A letter from a legal advisor stating that the declaration is valid

You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

Self-assessment calculator: