When should you hire a lawyer? Hiring a lawyer is not an extravagant expense but a cost saving one.
What you should do before hiring your lawyer:
- Know your needs
- Would you prefer to go to court or stay courteous?
- Trust your lawyer
- Do they take the time to teach you about the legal context of your business?
- Do they have other clients in the same industry than yours?
- If you are a designer startup you may need an intellectual property lawyer or a lawyer familiar with your industry.
- Know where to look for a lawyer.
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Lawyer
- Know your needs
To prepare when you draft your contract:
Most startup hire a lawyer only when their hands and feet are tied. You don’t need a lawyer for each step o but you should hire one for each step you are not accustomed to.
- Each decision might imply legal consequences
- You might avoid going to court if your contract is well written. You will know what your duties are and thus will not be in breach of contract – a clear notice timeline in your employee contracts avoid misunderstanding.
- If you need more reasons:
How to resolve an issue
It depends which cure you choose for resolve the dispute.
Hiring a lawyer is not mandatory. The decision is not a binding one. The mediation rules are simple.You don’t need direct lawyer participation. Nonetheless a mediation lawyer might be useful before beginning the process to understand all your options.
It is not mandatory but do not forget that arbitration decision will be a binding one.It would be a wise choice if there is more at stake than the lawyer will cost.
It is the most usual time to hire. Once the dispute already occurs and go to court you should hire a lawyer for sure. Its role will be to minimize your cost – attorney fees, court cost.
You should hire a lawyer each time you try to do something you are not familiar to and whose consequences is costly. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure!
I hope this helps! If you’re unsure about the legal advice that you or your startup require, we offer a Free Legal Session We’ll talk you through your needs and answer the questions you may have. Book a session here.